The advancement of technology in the mobile industry has seen explosive growth. Developers and brands across the spectrum are fighting it out to get the best for the user. And rightly so, that should be the case for everything. Over the recent past half-decade, we have seen the meteoric rise of food delivery apps. Although the majority of you reading this know what they are. Let’s define it anyway, so what is a food delivery app? These are mobile apps that allow users to order food online from the comfort of their mobile phone. The backend team receives this order and works towards delivering the ordered items.
There is a distinction between the types of food delivery apps. Largely, there are two types. Most online food delivery apps act as a platform that provides users to different restaurants in their location on the app. Typical examples would be Swiggy and Zomato. The other type is where the brand gives the food directly from their portfolio. Typical examples would be Freshmenu. Both have their unique features. The platform oriented apps generally give a wide variety compared to the individual brands.
Let’s talk statistics for a minute. In the global scheme of things, India is only third behind the US and China in this sector. The majority of users lie in the 25-35 years range. Some of the key driving growth factors are the smartphone boom, internet penetration, urban tech developments amongst others. This space is seeing a 15% growth per quarter in India. No wonder we’re seeing the entry of multiple new players in the market.
Most of the apps in the Food Tech space are located in the urban centres. Bangalore, Mumbai, Delhi, Kolkata and Chennai remain the major locations of service. However, we are seeing a trend in expansion in the untapped tier 2 cities as well. Sri Harsha Majety, the Founder and CEO of food ordering and delivery startup Swiggy says, “These regions definitely are our next target. Some of the top purchases seem to be happening from Tier II and Tier III cities. The spending capacity in these regions is increasing”.
Now, let’s get to the main stuff.
Here is our pick of the Top 5 apps in the Food Tech space…
- Swiggy: Available both on Android and IoS. Swiggy is one of the topmost rated apps in India. It caters the best hotels and restaurants near the user’ location. They have tied up with virtually every restaurant. Its unique feature of no-minimum order has captured the hearts of Indians. The sheer scale and plethora of options contribute to bagging the first place in our list. What’s further, their expansion to tier 2 cities has enabled them to create a brand unlike any other. With over 10,000,000 downloads on the play store, it is the No.1 online food delivery app in India and deserves its place to be at the top!
- Zomato Order: Available both on Android and IoS. Zomato order comes from its popular parent restaurant finder app. This is an online food ordering platform that connects major restaurants to users. The initial massive surge has made it the biggest rival to Swiggy after its launch. This rivalry has caused a disruption in the food tech space.
- Uber Eats: Available both on Android and IOS, is a venture of the popular taxi service platform Uber. UberEats is a popular online food ordering service that caters to mostly the metropolitan cities in India including Mumbai, Chennai, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Delhi and more.
- Dominos: is a prominent pizza delivering platform in India. Previously, it provided only a telephone call order service. Now it has bumped up its service by giving users the power from their mobiles.
- Freshmenu: is a unique online-only food delivery startup based out of Bangalore, India. Their tailor-made recipes change and give users something fresh every day. They have seen massive growth. They have managed to stand tall in the midst of the chaos. Their constant evolution has played a major contribution to their meteoric rise in the Food-Tech space. Good on you Freshmenu!
Get them all on AppBrowzer
Imagine getting all this in one app. Wait, that’s impossible! Not anymore, the Bengaluru based tech startup has created a revolutionary all-in-one app that integrates multiple apps in one app. Our CTO and Co-Founder puts it this way “We’re striving to develop the next-generation apps for the smartphone”. Through the unique ‘Smart Apps’, all the popular categories namely shopping, social media, news, and in this case food club all the top apps in one place. The simple swipe features allow users to get access to all the top apps in each category. Now you get rid of all the clutter and get AppBrowzer. The all-in-one app trend is set to pave the future of app technology giving users more freedom and flexibility. AppBrowzer is now available on the Play store for download.